This job is no longer available
For a career rich in opportunities join Newcrest Mining Limited - a leading gold producer in Australia, the Pacific and Asia and one of the largest gold companies in the world Newcrest has a world class portfolio of operating mines across four countries and a global workforce of in excess of 16,000 people. We live our values daily in a high performing organisation, striving to achieve our vision to be the 'Miner of Choice' for our employees and contractors, the communities in which we operate and our shareholders.
Senior Mining Engineer - Short Term Planning
Newcrest's Lihir Island operation is located 900kms north-east of Port Moresby, in the New Ireland Province. The site is one of the world's largest gold mines and processing facilities, consisting of 3 linked open pits - Minifie, Lienetz and Kapit. We have a large team of over 4,000 people working in this significant operation.
Job No.: 786389
Work type: Permanent
Location: Lihir Operations - Lihir Island, PNG
The position reports to the Superintendent Tactical Planning and is responsible for supervising a team of mining engineers to provide mine planning out to 18 months, and to manage assigned mine related capital projects. The successful candidate will be an effective and engaged member of the Mining Department and contribute to the development of Mine Planning team members, optimise the value of Newcrest Mining and provide support to the Operational Leadership Team to achieve business objectives.
Key elements of the role are:
• Ensure the effective completion of all medium-term mine planning activities for monthly and quarterly forecasts, including; scheduling, reconciliation, documentation & reporting, meetings and presentations, contribution to production efficiency improvements, development and maintenance of SOPs relating to planning processes
• Liaise with Drill & Blast, Maintenance, Mine Ops, Geology, Geothermal, Geotechnical, Contractors, Process Plant and Survey to develop the three month rolling plan and quarterly forecasts. Review performance and ensure progress is consistent with the LOM Plan
• Manage assigned capital and other projects
• Managing Medium Term Mine Planning activities in a unique geothermal mining environment
• Resolving practical pit development constraints to ensure LOM and budget targets are met
• Developing professional staff to a world standard
• Developing successful systems to support the Medium Term Planning process.
• Maintaining a work group culture of continuous improvement in safety & environmental practices
• Develop and ensure the continuous improvement of safety best practice in line with Newcrest's "Safety policies and procedures
The successful candidate will have:
• A Degree qualification in Mining Engineering from a recognized institution.
• General understanding of the PNG Mine Safety Act and Regulations.
• 5 to 10 years experience in open pit mining, with a minimum of three years experience in a mine planning role.
• Comprehensive mine design and scheduling abilities with a good understanding of production performance parameters
• A sound awareness of operational risk management and an excellent personal safety record
• Member of recognised institution for mining professionals
• A high degree of competency in MS applications including Excel, Word and have excellent competency in mine planning software; eg, Minesight, Datamine or Vulcan
• Enthusiasm, self motivation and the ability to maintain direction and achieve work objectives with minimal supervision.
• Well-developed interpersonal skills and excellent written and oral communication skills in English
• The ability to lead and mentor a multi-cultural team in a technically challenging and geographically remote environment
• Ability to work to strict planning deadlines
If you are confident you have the skills, knowledge and experience to fulfil this role then please apply now via the button below, alternatively for a confidential discussion please contact Tracy Fernandez on ph: 9522 5482.
Advertised: 23 Apr 2012 West Pacific Standard Time
Closing date: 31 May 2012 11:55pm West Pacific Standard Time
To apply for this role, please click the 'Apply Now' button below.
We value diversity of thought, style and working arrangements.
Newcrest Mining Limited does not accept unsolicited resumes from recruitment agencies or Search firms and is not responsible for any related fees.