This job is no longer available
Location: Koolyanobbing Operations, Australia
Job Code: 784
Cliffs Natural Resources Inc. is an international mining and natural resources company. A member of the S&P 500 Index, the Company is a major global iron ore producer and a significant producer of high- and low-volatile metallurgical coal. Cliffs’ strategy is to continually achieve greater scale and diversification in the mining industry through a focus on serving the world’s largest and fastest growing steel markets. Driven by the core values of social, environmental and capital stewardship, Cliffs associates across the globe endeavor to provide all stakeholders operating and financial transparency.
The Company is organized through a global commercial group responsible for sales and delivery of Cliffs products and a global operations group responsible for the production of the minerals the Company markets. Cliffs operates iron ore and coal mines in North America and two iron ore mining complexes in Western Australia. The Company also has a 45% economic interest in a coking and thermal coal mine in Queensland, Australia. In addition, Cliffs has a major chromite project, in the pre-feasibility stage of development, located in Ontario, Canada.
Our West Australian mining operations include the Koolyanobbing Project located in the heart of the Goldfields providing lump and fine products to the international market, exported from our Port Operations in Esperance and the Cockatoo Island Project, a Joint Venture in the Kimberley. The Koolyanobbing project is a multi pit/multi element Iron Ore operation, with complex geology and blending, supported by leading edge systems. We have three active operational areas and are currently undergoing an expansion from 8Mt in 2011 to 11Mt produced in 2012.
Reporting to the Senior Geologist, you will be responsible the grade control function and will work to maximise the profitable extraction of the resources in a safe, timely and cost-effective manner.
Your key accountabilities / responsibilities will include:
• Ensure all ore shots are sampled safely, adequately and in a timely manner
• Geologically log blast holes
• Model and interpret ore zones to produce dig plans using all existing geological information
• Ensure all ore markups are completed promptly and accurately
• Ensure CSMS (blending tool) is maintained accurately and all blending processes provide on specification product (Kooly)
• Geological wall and face mapping and interpretation
• Maintain various geology, grade control and blending data sets (in digital and hardcopy form)
• Assist in the compilation of monthly and weekly reports, including marketing, and reconciliations
• Direct liaison with mining and haulage supervisors to ensure ore quality is maintained
To be successful, you will possess the following:
• Tertiary degree in Geology or Geoscience
• Current manual drivers licence
• Previous experience (2+ years) in an open pit mine geologist role
• Strong computer skills including MS Office and Surpac (or other mining software)
• Keen and willing to further develop mining and geological expertise
Cliffs offers a number of generous employee benefits, please see the Remuneration and Benefits section on our Asia Pacific Career Opportunities page atwww.cliffsnaturalresources.com/EN/Careers/AsiaPacific/WhatWeOffer