This job is no longer available
Senior Mining Engineer
Location: Koolyanobbing Operations, Australia
Job Code: 440
Cliffs Natural Resources Inc. is an international mining and natural resources company. A member of the S&P 500 Index, the Company is a major global iron ore producer and a significant producer of high- and low-volatile metallurgical coal. Cliffs’ strategy is to continually achieve greater scale and diversification in the mining industry through a focus on serving the world’s largest and fastest growing steel markets. Driven by the core values of social, environmental and capital stewardship, Cliffs associates across the globe endeavor to provide all stakeholders operating and financial transparency.
The Company is organized through a global commercial group responsible for sales and delivery of Cliffs products and a global operations group responsible for the production of the minerals the Company markets. Cliffs operates iron ore and coal mines in North America and two iron ore mining complexes in Western Australia. The Company also has a 45% economic interest in a coking and thermal coal mine in Queensland, Australia. In addition, Cliffs has a major chromite project, in the pre-feasibility stage of development, located in Ontario, Canada.
Our West Australian mining operations include the Koolyanobbing Project located in the heart of the Goldfields providing lump and fine products to the international market, exported from our Port Operations in Esperance and the Cockatoo Island Project, a Joint Venture in the Kimberley. Our strength as an organisation starts with selecting the right individuals, this is why we are committed to finding the best and brightest workforce.
The Koolyanobbing project is a multi pit/multi element blending operation, with complex geology. It is geographically diverse with two operations areas and three mining areas. We are continuously commencing and completing open cut pits, and are currently undergoing an expansion to take us from 16MBCM in 2011 to 24MBCM mined in 2012.
Your role will be technically focused, with some hands on work and the responsibility for managing and developing Mining Engineers with the team. For your own personal development, we have a diverse resource pool for gathering information/mentorship and you will be provided the opportunity/flexibility to move between different locations and positions within the planning team.
Your key accountabilities/responsibilities will include:
• Delivery of rolling operational mine plans, reports, and presentations on a monthly basis
• Timely identification and communication of all mine developmental issues and risks within the operational short to medium term planning horizon
• Understand, reconcile and report on planning input parameters to improve quality, practicality and utility of plans
• Maintain and/or modify as required, designs for pits, dumps and mine infrastructure in accordance with design change management procedures and other supporting functions and processes
• Initiate ground disturbance approvals based on planning requirements for pits, dumps, roads, and rehabilitation
• Develop systems and tools to improve current planning methods
• Undertake productivity and equipment utilisation improvement studies
• Support strategic planning with best for business equipment selection analyses
• Deliver plans and schedules to support strategic operating scenarios as required
• Lead and mentor direct reports in the formation and delivery of daily and weekly operational mine plans and schedules
To be successful, you will possess the following:
• Degree in Mining Engineering or mining-related engineering field
• Drivers Licence
• Short Term Operational Mine Planning / Engineering experience in an open cut operation
• Iron ore mining and blending knowledge
• Exposure to multi-pit and multi-element mining operations
• Knowledge of Mine Planning, Mine Scheduling and Mine Design methods and techniques
• Proactive ability to identify value-adding opportunities
• Strong computer skills including MS Office, Outlook and Surpac / MineSched (or other mining software)
• Demonstrated relationship building skills and ability to communicate / interface effectively within all key relationship areas
• Effective time management and prioritisation skills
• Positive attitude and ability to work effectively within a team environment
Cliffs offers a number of generous employee benefits, please see the Remuneration and Benefits section on our Asia Pacific Career Opportunities page at www.cliffsnaturalresources.com/EN/Careers/AsiaPacific/WhatWeOffer
For further information or to request a role description please contact Ellen Badock, Human Resources Officer on 08 9426 3352 .