This job is no longer available
For a career rich in opportunities join Newcrest Mining Limited - a leading gold producer in Australia, the Pacific and Asia and one of the largest gold companies in the world Newcrest has a world class portfolio of operating mines across four countries and a global workforce of in excess of 16,000 people. We live our values daily in a high performing organisation, striving to achieve our vision to be the 'Miner of Choice' for our employees and contractors, the communities in which we operate and our shareholders.
Cadia Valley Operations offers a rare opportunity to enjoy the lifestyle benefits of a rural mining community located 25kms from Orange and 3.5 hours west of Sydney. Leading the way in underground and open pit mining methods, our Cadia Valley operation's are one of the largest gold-copper mines in the country. The recently approved Cadia East project is set to become one of the largest underground mines in the world.
Job No.: 811077
Work type: Permanent
Location: Cadia Valley Operations, Orange NSW
• Exciting career development opportunities
• 5/2 roster
• Competitive remuneration package
• Join one of the world's leading gold mining companies
Newcrest Mining Limited is currently seeking to engage an experienced and professional Laboratory Supervisor to join the Newcrest Services Laboratory team located in Orange. Reporting to the Laboratory Coordinator, the laboratory supervisor will play a key role in ensuring the effective operation of the laboratory. Your specialist knowledge will enable you to: lead the review and specification of laboratory methods and techniques; provide training and coaching for other laboratory personnel; assure laboratory results; manage laboratory data; and maintain laboratory equipment.
As the Laboratory Supervisor you will support Newcrest's Operating Framework and a Target Zero approach to safety.
• Supervise and lead a team of people to achieve safety, quality and turnaround performance targets
• Develop, maintain and review safe work procedures and systems
• Lead in the review, development and maintenance of laboratory systems and methods
• Method development and implementation of new procedures
• Initiate corrective actions when quality performance does not meet performance specifications
• Monitor equipment, IT and support systems performance and initiate corrective actions when performance falls outside of specifications
• Operation and trouble shooting of analytical instrumentation such as AAS, ICP-OES, ICP-MS and XRF
• Wet Chemistry
• QA/QC and reporting
• Instrument calibration and maintenance
• In addition you should have the ability to interpret, identify and critique data in order to assess whether repeat analysis is required and remedial action to be applied
To be successful in this position you will ideally posses the following key skills and attributes:
• At least 5 years experience in the minerals processing industry
• Bachelor degree (or equivalent) in Science
• Strong analytical and problem solving skills
• Demonstrated training or coaching skills
• Good communication skills
• High level of attention to detail and accuracy
• Extensive knowledge of theoretical and applied chemistry as practiced in the mining industry, particularly in the areas of sample preparation, fire assay, XRF, AAS, ISE and ICP instrumental techniques
• Extensive knowledge of standard operating procedures
• Methodical approach to work practices with emphasis on safety and quality
• Minimum of 5 years Relevant Mining Experience
To be considered for this position you will have a proactive approach to your work with demonstrated experience at leading and developing high performing teams. As a strong communicator and influencer you will have the ability to work effectively with all levels of the business and will be adept in problem solving skills covering complex technical problems.
As part of the leadership team, you will receive senior management support coupled with the opportunity to work with highly experienced professionals. You will be able to maximise value whilst providing the leadership to continuing the investment we have in our most important asset, our people.
If you wish to find more about Newcrest go to www.newcrest.com.au, for more on Orange visit www.evocities.com.au/locations/orange and then if you are confident you have the skills, knowledge and experience required, please apply at www.newcrestcareers.com.au or via the button below.
Advertised: 14 May 2012 Aus. Eastern Standard Time
Closing date: 11 Jun 2012 11:55pm Aus. Eastern Standard Time
To apply for this role, please click the 'Apply Now' button below.
We value diversity of thought, style and working arrangements.
Newcrest Mining Limited does not accept unsolicited resumes from recruitment agencies or Search firms and is not responsible for any related fees.