Principal Advisor – Management Planning & Analysis - Functions
Rio Tinto is a leading international mining and metals group headquartered in the UK. Rio Tinto’s business is in finding, mining and processing mineral resources. Major products are aluminium, copper, diamonds, energy (coal and uranium), gold, industrial minerals (borax, titanium dioxide, salt) and iron ore.
The Controllers function has two divisions, led by the Group Advisor, Financial Planning and Analysis and the Deputy Controller, both of whom report to the Global Head of Planning and Control.
The priorities of the Financial Planning and Analysis team relate to internal reporting and analysis, financial planning and forecasting, development of excellent business systems and guidance notes and liaison with group operating companies and functions.
An exciting opportunity exists for a Principal Advisor – Management Planning & Analysis – Group Functions, based in London and reporting to the Group Advisor – Financial Planning & Analysis.
The principal responsibility of the position is to understand, interpret and communicate underlying business performance through analysis of business results, trends and targets against internal and external comparators for Group Functions portfolio.
What the role entails:
- To understand financial and non-financial goals and performance of the Group Functions and to actively challenge target setting and actual performance as appropriate.
- Production of consolidated management and external reports including detailed analysis on performance of the business.
- To review and interpret monthly and quarterly business unit financial information and forecasts and plan, understanding variances, challenging and influencing divisional representatives as appropriate
- To develop and maintain effective reporting mechanisms to ensure that senior Group management is provided with insightful and appropriate analysis of underlying performance
- To act as an advisor to other corporate departments as appropriate, in particular Investor Relations, Tax, Treasury and Business Evaluation & Development
- To contribute to the continuous improvement of group management reporting and forecasting processes.
The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate:
- University degree and be a Chartered accountant or equivalent
- Experience of large corporate clients
- Mining experience is desirable
- Enthusiasm for improving business processes and systems
- Strong administration, organizational and project management skills
- Strong working knowledge of IFRS and corporate reporting
- Good all round interpersonal skills.
This role is based in London.
If this sounds like you and the opportunity you’re looking for, apply now or find out more at riotinto.com/careers.
Please note that this role is subject to Rio Tinto’s Pre-employment Screening Standard and may require your consent for Criminal Record and Credit checks.
About Rio Tinto
Rio Tinto is a leading international mining group, combining Rio Tinto plc, a London listed public company headquartered in the UK, and Rio Tinto Limited, which is listed on the Australian Stock Exchange, with executive offices in Melbourne.